Part 1:
Why does Penelope now want to stage the test of the bow? How do you think Penelope is probably feeling at this point in the situation? Do you think she might suspect the stranger is Odysseus? What arguments could be mounted in support of such an opinion?
Penelope is using the test of the bow to decide witch of the suitors she will marry. “The hand that can string this bow (Odysseus’ bow) with greatest ease, that shoots an arrow clean through all twelve axes – he is the man” Penelope will follow and marry (426.86-88). Even though Penelope is following through with the plan a part she is dying inside and does not want to remarry. When Penelope is retrieving Odysseus’s bow, Homer describes her, “Reaching, tiptoe, lifting the bow down off its peg, still secure in the burnished case that held it, down she sank, laying the case across…” (426.62-64). As I read this, reading the words “down she sank” I knew immediately she was feeling horrible and dirty. One sinks in a pile of mud not when they are going to get married and through these words, I believe Homer is stating that Penelope feels like scum on the bottom of a shoe for lack of better words. She is falling, sinking slowly to something she does not want to be at. She does not want to remarry. Continuing on, knowing she does not want to remarry she still continues on with the plan because I believe that she suspects that the stranger is Odysseus. When the stranger (Odysseus) asks to try his hand at the bow the suitors laugh while Penelope wants him to try. Penelope says, “Come, hand him the bow now, let’s just see…”(435.375). I think Penelope suspects that the stranger is Odysseus and she wants him to attempt to use the bow so it can stand as proof whether the stranger is Odysseus or not. It can be argued that if she knows the stranger is Odysseus then why is she still holding the contest but in my opinion, I state that Penelope is unsure and she rather know for sure than make any assumptions
To whom does Odysseus now reveal his identity and why? Discuss the way Odysseus has decided whom he can trust and whom he cannot. Has he made good decisions in that regard?
In this book Odysseus decides to reveal his identity to the swineherd and cowherd. Odysseus feels he can trust them both but he also needs more people to help him bring down all of the suitors. Before revealing his identity, he asks, “How far would you go to fight beside Odysseus?” (430.221) Odysseus is testing their worthiness. If they respond in aments and say they would do anything for Odysseus and fight to their death he can trust them. If they respond with any sense of doubt, they are a lost cause for Odysseus and he cannot reveal his true identity. Of course the suitors say they will fight beside their king and convince Odysseus of their worthiness. In return, “certain at least these two were loyal to the death,” Odysseus reveals his identity (431.232). Odysseus in the past and in this scene has revealed his identity because he feels that these people are loyal to him to death and can be trusted. I agree with his antics and think they are the right way to decide who he should reveal his identity too.
The main idea of this book was the competition to win Penelope’s hand in marriage. Penelope gives the suitors the opportunity win her hand by being able to string Odysseus’ bow and shoot and arrow cleanly through twelve axes in a row. The suitors all being hot heads immediately get riled up and they all want to be the first to get the arrow through the twelve axes. As quick as they were to jump to their feet, they were even quicker to sit back down. The challenge proved to be too difficult and they all underestimated the strength of Odysseus. Antinuous who has always been the one to talk smack tries first but he fails to bend it. He says the rest of the suitors, “Friends, I can’t bend it. Take it, someone – try. Here is a bow to rob our best of life and breath” (429.172-174). Like Antinuous, Melanthius, Eurymachus, and all the strongest suitors all failed to bend Odysseus bow. They tried to lather it with oil but everything they tried and everyone who tried failed. It is made clear that Odysseus’ strength is far more superior to that of the suitors. But in this, I also recognize how the mind of Odysseus is also stronger than those of the suitors. The suitors after one try immediately give up but Odysseus who has suffered defeat after defeat never gave up.
Eventually, Odysseus gets his hands on the bow while he is disguised as the beggar bends his bow in front of the suitors. “Horror swept through the suitors, faces blanching white,” (437.459). At this point the suitors know they are in for it and doomed. As Odysseus reveals himself, Telemachus draws his sword and the two prepare for battle.
GQ1:
Even though the suitors are given the opportunity to win Penelope’s hand in marriage through the bow contest, it seems as though Penelope has given them an impossible task. Is the task truly impossible to achieve, is their a more significant reason that Penelope chose this task for the suitors to accomplish? What does she gain from giving them an impossible task if it is impossible?
Part 2:
Literary Devices
SIMILE:
1. So they mocked, but Odysseus, mastermind in action, once he’d handled the great bow and scanned every inch then, like an expert singer skilled at lyre and song – who strains a string to a new peg with ease, making the pliant sheep-gut fast at either end – so with his virtuoso ease Odysseus strung his mighty bow” (437.451-456). This simile allows Odysseus to be seen as the master of the bow. He is the expert and he is the only one who can string the bow and use it properly. With that said, Odysseus is now revealing to everyone one he is Odysseus and he is the only one with the might and power to string his bow.
Epic Machinery
In book 21, Homer once again emphasizes on the number 3. He describes Telemachus attempting to string Odysseus’ bow, “Three times he made it shudder, straining to end it, three times his power flagged—but his hopes ran high…”(428.143-144). Here Homer is bringing in the idea of three times is the charm. If you fail, try a second time, and a third time but fail again on the third time there is no use trying again. Homer is saying that no matter how hard Telemachus tried each time he could not string the bow even after the charmed third time.
Homer also uses epic machinery to describe the bow’s origins. This occurs on page 424 on line 15 and ends on page 425, line 44. In this the reader finds the bow was given to Odysseus from Iphitus who was murdered by Apollo. In the translator’s notes we find how this can affect the story.
Translators Notes
21.16 Eurytus: One of the great archers Odysseus mentions when he claims mastery of the bow among the Phaecians (8.246-60). Eurytus had even challenged Apollo to a contest, an insult for which the god killed him. According to later sources, Apollo had given him a bow and trained him in its use; if so, the bow Iphitus gave Odysseus comes from the hand of the archer god himself, to be used against the suitors on Apollo’s feast day.
These notes can be interpreted in two ways. One way is that because the bow is from Apollo himself Odysseus will kill the suitors with ease due to the amazing power the bow has. On the contrary, Odysseus may offend Apollo by using his bow on his feast day and Odysseus may suffer because of this.
GQ2:
Now knowing even more about the origin of the bow and how it originates straight from Apollo, do you think Odysseus’ use of it will provide any significance in his battle with the suitors?
Part 3:
GQ3:
Would you ever crawl on your hands and knees and fight till death for someone or something? What qualities make that someone or something worth fighting fore? What qualities does Odysseus have that make him worth fighting for?

GQ1- I think Penelope gives an impossible task because of the fact it is impossible. She really does not want to marry a suitor, and if none of them are able to complete the task, she would not marry a suitor that day. She knew the men were not strong enough to string the bow except for Odysseus, and back in book 19 she had a feeling that the beggar was Odysseus. She had nothing to lose and everything to gain from this contest.
ReplyDeleteGQ2- I think that the bow being crafted by the archer God Apollo makes a big difference for the battle to come. The bow was extremely diffucult to string, which means that any arrow that is shot from that bow travels faster and farther than normal. Only Odysseus was strong enough, and by using the bow of Apollo on his feast day honoring the God, I think that Odysseus can be successful.
GQ3- I think I would crawl on my hands and knees, not to fight for somebody till I die, but to live. I wouldn't care if anybody saw me and I was humiliated, I would be able to live which is important. The qualities that makes someone or something fighting for is what you believe in or what you believe that person is. I think the people fighting for Odysseus are fighting for him because he took great care of his people before he went to war, and that they need to right the wrong the suitors did by courting his wife.
One- The task of stringing the great Odysseus' bow is indeed an impossible task for any man that is not Odysseus. He was one of the strongest mortals around, as he was described in the book, the champion of champions. Penelope knew that it would be impossible for them, which is why she gave it as their task, to once again prolong marriage. She did this earlier in the story with the weaving of her web, she would weave it up, and then unravel all she had done for three years. She knew that it would be impossible, for she is still waiting for Odysseus to come home to her.
ReplyDeleteTwo- Once Odysseus strings his own bow the suitors are going to know who he truly is, for no other mortal still alive could have strung it. I think that the suitors will decide to try to rush Odysseus after he strings the bow to try to kill him. At this point he will need to use his bow to try to take them down, probably successfully, for the bow is very strong, and he is very skilled.
Three- There are indeed things that I would fight to the death for, as I believe anybody would. I would fight to the death for somebody I love, and Telemachus as well as the swineherd and the cowherd love Odysseus very much so. He took and will continue to take great care of the swineherd and the cowherd, and is the loving father of Telemachus. If I were put into one of their positions, I would gladly fight for Odysseus.
GQ#1: I believe Penelope gave them this impossible task because in her heart she knew that no one could accomplish it other than Odysseus. Knowing that the bow belonged to Odysseus allowed Penelope an advantage of realizing that there was a good chance none of the suitors would be able to do it. By giving the suitors this impossible task, Penelope is able to live without being forced to pick a suitor. I think that deep down Penelope knew that only Odysseus could achieve this task and she knew she would have to wait for him to do it in order to pick a new husband.
ReplyDeleteGQ#2: Because of the significance of the bow, I think Odysseus’ use of it will be significant throughout the battle. Since the bow had been given to Odysseus, he will definitely be able to use it with great force. Once the suitors see Odysseus attempt to achieve the task, they will finally realize that it is Odysseus and he has returned to Ithaca.
GQ#3: I would like to think I would fight till death for someone or something, but it would have to depend on what that someone or something was. If it were some random person on the street, I would try and help, but I would not go to great lengths to save them. Although, if it were a family member in trouble, I believe I would do everything I could to help them. In order for someone to be worth fighting for, I think they need to be a kind, caring person that you think would attempt to do the same thing for you. Odysseus is worth fighting for because he has witnessed so many tragedies and still remains determined to return home to his loved ones.
Penelope gave them an impossible task only the strongest man could accomplish the task (Odysseus). Penelope gave the suitors this task because she didn’t want to marry any of suitors and deep in heart was only space for Odysseus. Penelope gains everything she wanted which was Odysseus.
ReplyDeleteKnowing that it was a bow from the gods (Apollo), this bow was greater beyond any other bow made from mortal. The bow was faster, more accurate, traveled farther distance and only a godlike man can handle and use it. This bow played a great role in defeating all suitors.
I would crawl on my hands and knees and fight till death for someone if there is a good reason. The quality of unconditional love and good heart is required for that someone or something to be worth fighting for. Odysseus is worth fighting because he is loyal and a great person.
1. I agree with what the others have said. This test was similar to how Penelope deceived the suitors with the big thing that she was weaving. She wanted another excuse to keep the suitors at bay for just a little bit longer. When I think about it, though, Penelope just said that whoever shot through the axes the best would win her over. At that point she was pretty distraught, so maybe she actually was ready to marry one of the suitors.
ReplyDelete2. I don’t think the fact that it was from Apollo changed anything in the battle. The bow didn’t need any extra power to kill the suitors, and it only did its job because it was Odysseus who was using it. The fact that it was from Apollo made a difference when the suitors were trying to string it, but not during the actual battle.
3. I think I am probably in the same boat as Christian. I would like to say that I would fight to the death to save another person, but I don’t know if I would be able to do that if it was anything but my own safety that was on the line. People like to say that they are brave and would give their lives to help another person, but when it comes down to it we’re all very afraid of dying. Most of us, anyways.
GQ1 - I believe she picked an impossible task for the same reason she would unweave the web; it would make it seem like she is actually trying to find a new husband without actually doing it. She knows only the great Odysseus can accomplish this task so she is just prolonging the time for when she has to chose a new husband.
ReplyDeleteGQ2 - I agree with Brandon on this one. I think the fact that it was from Apollo was only significant in the task from Penelope because they were all trying to prove they could use his bow and show they are just as worthy and capable to use it. But in the battle it only mattered that is was Odysseus using it to kill the suitors. Odysseus had a point to make and he was going to give the suitors what they deserved no matter what.
GQ3 - I would fight for the death for someone I love. It is a no brainer for me. But like Maddy said if it was just some random person, then I am not going to try as hard but still try. But all the people who helped Odysseus loved and cared about him. To fight like that you would have to truly believe in what you are fighting for and love them unconditionally.
1. Penelope knew the only man who would be able to accomplish the task of stringing the bow would be Odysseus, so that is why she used that as a test against the suitors. Knowing in advance that none of the suitors will be able to string the bow gives her the advantage of not having to marry any of those suitors that disgrace her home.
ReplyDelete2.I believe since the bow signified the strong war times in the past, that it indeed made Odysseus feel like he was more powerful using that weapon. Apollo was a famous fighter, and since this bow was a gift symbolizing how the one who beholds the power to string the bow/use the bow, is the most powerful fighter.
3. I would fight with all my heart for anyone who was close to me. If I loved them and knew that they were going to be killed/tortured, I would do anything I can (physically) to get them out of that situation. If anyone means a lot to you, you would do anything for them. Odysseus was fighting for his wife, his son, his palace, his kingdom, and his whole life back! And the cowherd and goatherd were fighting for their beloved master knowing how much he has been through and how much they saw that he deserved to get his old life back. They truly loved Odysseus, and like how I would fight for my loved ones, they crawled on their hands and knees to defend their master.
Yes I think that this was an impossible task that Penelope required from one of the suitors. i think that she picked this task because if she was even considering marrying someone new, it had to be someone that was as strong and skilled as Odysseus was. But i think that she also knew that none of them would be able to do it and therefore would not have to get remarried.
ReplyDeleteI dont think that it made any difference because a bow is able to kill any human being and the suitors were nothing special. So there was no special forces needed on the bow during that battle.
I think the only time that i would fight to the death would be if I was fighting for someone or something that i really loved. Otherwise I think i would care about my own protection first before risking my life in a battle. Odysseus is worth fighting for because he is such a strong leader that everyone wants to keep him in order to keep a strong kingdom.
1. Odysseus had been going around disguised as a complete stranger and heard things so i believe it was easy for him to deside who it is he can and cannot trust with his true identity. I believe Penelope either created the challenge because she thought noone would be able to do it and then she'd be able to put off marriage for awhile yet again, that or she created the challenge because whoever would beable to string the bow would be the closest thing to filling her husbands shoes because he was able to do it.
ReplyDelete2. Well not just where the bow came from, if it is so hard for others to string the bow, it has to be powerfull, so Odysseus is probably going to own the suitors with it.
3. Im not sure, if i ever found somthing that i believed in to an incredible extent, maby, but probably not. I would die for my sister, because she was always the person i looked up to more then anyone else, and shes always been there for me. Im sure if i fell in love with somone i would die for them to.
1. I feel that Penelope was wise enough to know that Odysseus would be strong enough to string the bow, so she cunningly used that to test the suitors because she also figured that none of them would be able to. She was smart enough to think ahead because she did not want to get remarried in the first place because the suitors shamed her and her family so horribly.
ReplyDelete2. I do feel like the bow will be an important symbol through the rest of the novel mostly because it is now Odysseus’s possession. Since Apollo is considered incredibly famous and now Odysseus has the weapon, he will become ever more powerful.
3. This is an interesting question. I feel that I would fight for any family or friend that is close to me. I believe that it would be very difficult to do something as amazing as putting my life on the line for someone that has not really impacted me. I agree with Jfly completely about what they said about how unconditional love is a necessary quality if you are willing to fight for someone or something. Odysseus was an incredible man who fought for his loved ones and he never seemed to ever really think of himself even in intimidating situations.